Red Sox Notebook: Dave Bush admits fatigue could be factor in recent pitching struggles
The Red Sox’ pitching staff is in a tough spot, and it was put into clear focus in their 18-4 loss to the Blue Jays on Sunday.
In summoning Ryan Weber for 5 2/3 innings, as he gave up four homers and 11 runs, it represented the unideal situation the Red Sox have found themselves in. They’re in a stretch of games in 20 consecutive days without an off day. Their best depth starter options in the minor leagues are unavailable. And a year after a shortened 60-game season, Red Sox pitching coach Dave Bush admitted that fatigue could be a factor in his staff’s recent struggles.
“I’m sure that’s part of it,” Bush said. “I mean, look, we’re past where last year was. All of the starters and probably most of the relievers have passed their inning totals from last year, so there’s definitely a fatigue factor. We knew that coming in. We planned for a longer year, so there’s going to be some natural dips along the way, but I’m sure that’s part of it. We’re also in a stretch where we don’t have any off days for quite a while and we’re playing some tougher lineups lately. So I think you put all of that together. A little bit of fatigue, no time off, they’re out there every five days right now instead of getting an extra day occasionally.
“It really comes down to making quality pitches. Our guys can match up against any lineup. We have to make good pitches, we have to execute the way that they can on the mound.”
Red Sox starters have posted a 9.23 ERA in their last nine starts dating back to last Saturday, and none of them have pitched at least six innings in that stretch. But even if they wanted to give one of their starters an extra day, they don’t have options.
Tanner Houck, the only pitcher outside the rotation who has started this season, is still on the injured list. Connor Seabold remains out, too. And top pitching prospects Bryan Mata and Thad Ward are recovering from Tommy John surgery. That left the Red Sox with little choice but to bring up someone like Weber.
“Our depth has taken a hit and we have several guys in the minor leagues that either have already pitched or would pitch in the big leagues, they can’t right now because of injuries,” Bush said. “So we’ve known that for a little while. We’ve known that we just have to grind through the guys we have. Sure, I’d love to plug a guy from Triple-A and give everyone an extra day. It’s just not always an option. It’s not an option for us right now. We’re going to grind through this stretch with guys keep going out and we got some off days coming up. Look, they’re going to keep coming out and competing, keep fighting.”
Cordero stays hot
The Red Sox sent Franchy Cordero to Triple-A to give him much-needed consistent at-bats, and he’s continuing to make the most of them.
The outfielder acquired in the Andrew Benintendi trade is continuing to rake in Worcester, with five home runs, five doubles, one triple and 15 RBI in 15 games. But manager Alex Cora has been just as impressed with his patience at the plate. Cordero has nine walks and a .457 on-base percentage.
“Just keep going,” Cora said. “Keep putting good at-bats. I think at the end (in Boston), he gained momentum swing-wise. We were saying that he was making good swing decisions, and he’s been doing that since he got there. Forget the home runs, the walks. He’s been walking a lot. I think that’s very important. The more he shows control of the strike zone, the better it’s going to be for him.”
Dalbec’s future at first
Bobby Dalbec returned to his roots with his first start of the season at third base on Sunday as Rafael Devers took a scheduled off day. Dalbec is still getting comfortable at his new position at first base, but the coaching staff remains high on his potential there.
“It’s not an easy position,” third-base coach Carlos Febles said. “I think he’s going to be fine. It’s just learning how to play that position the way that he can. He’s got the hands, he’s got the skills, he’s got a great arm. It’s a matter of time. The only way he’s going to learn is by just keep playing and unfortunately, making mistakes. That’s how you learn to play this game. There’s no doubt in my mind he’s a future Gold Glover at first base. He just needs a little more time.” …
Xander Bogaerts, after missing two straight games with left knee soreness, returned on Sunday and hit a home run in his first at-bat, his 12th of the season. … Dalbec hit his eighth home run of the season with a solo shot in the seventh inning. After a rough 3-for-38 stretch, he’s 5 for his last 15. … The national champion UMass hockey team was recognized before Sunday’s game as coach Greg Carvel and his staff were on hand. Carvel let his son Drew throw out the first pitch.
from Boston Herald https://ift.tt/3gx3s2h

Post a Comment